How to prepare the real Italian recipe of Swordfish with Capers and Olives or “Pesce Spada alla Messinese”
The Messina Swordfish is a typical dish of Sicilian culinary tradition and embodies all the flavors and scents of the Mediterranean. Very healthy, a good option even under the most strict dieting regimes! Fresh Pachino Tomatoes, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, the Capers, the Red Onion, Olives are the perfect ingredients that will make this dish “UNIQUE” . Lot’s of vitamins. Great mix of flavors!
Ingredients for 4 people
- 4 slices of Swordfish (around 300 grams of each slice)
- 300 grams of Tomato sauce
- 100 grams of Black Olives or Green Olives will make it too
- 30 grams of Capers
- 100 grams of fresh Pachino Tomatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 stalk of Celery
- 1 Chilly
- 1 Carrot
- a pinch of Parsley
- 6 leaves of basil
- 4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper as preferred
- Flour as you need
- Cut the onion into thin slices, celery and carrot, peeled previously, in small pieces. In a pan heat the olive oil, adding sliced onion, celery and carrot to fry. Once vegetables golden add the tomato sauce, capers, olives, and pepper.
- In the meanwhile, lets’ start covering with flour the surface of the swordfish steaks, making sure to cover them well on both sides. The flour must adhere perfectly to the fish.
- We will combine then the floured slices to the sauce, add the tomatoes lightly sliced and will adjust salt and pepper. We will leave to cook for about 10 minutes in the event adding a tablespoon of hot water. You can nicely present the fish in a serving dish with parsley and basil previously chopped on top. What a flavour!
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!