How to prepare the real Italian recipe of Russian salad or “Insalata Russa”
A typical recipe for a family Christmas dinner but you can prepare it anytime and maybe for a nice dinner with friends. This is a typical cold appetizer. A recipe grandmothers use every time there’s a family gathering or a special occasion. The Russian Salad flavor and texture differs from the standard salads, as it uses boiled veggies rather than raw ones It is an easy a vegetarian dish.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 3 large Potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed
- 4 Carrots peeled and diced
- 200 grams of shelled Peas
- 200 grams of green Beans boiled and cut in small pieces
- 400 grams of Mayonnaise
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tablespoons of Mustard
- Salt and Pepper as you prefer
- “Prezzemolo” or Parsley to decorate
1. Clean well the carrots and the potatoes, wash and chop into little cubes of the same size. Clean the green beans and cut them into small pieces.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add potatoes and carrot. Cook until potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Boil all the vegetables in salted water, add them when the water is at boiling temperature. Drain very well so that you eliminate all the water, pour into a bowl and mix the mayonnaise with the mustard, salt, and pepper.
3. In the meanwhile boil 3 eggs and once cooled, remove the shell and cut them in slices, you will need them to garnish the dish. Let the Russian salad rest refrigerated for 1 hour, decorate with the eggs and serve.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!