How to prepare the real recipe of the Italian Chocolate Capri Cake or “Torta Caprese”
A traditional cake from one of the most beautiful Islands in Italy: CAPRI!
This tasty almond and chocolate cake is from this wonderful island. The origin: the cook would indeed forget to put the flour in a chocolate cake with almonds. A fatal mistake, which has created one of the most popular desserts and appreciated by so many palates. Traditionally made on the island of Capri, this cake has a delicious aroma. Without using flour for the pan (and using parchment paper instead) this is a delicious gluten free recipe.
Ingredients for a pan of 26-28 cm
- 350 grams Allmond, peeled and toasted
- 250 grams of Dark Chocolate 70%
- 200 grams of Unsalted Butter
- 200 grams of powder Sugar
- 6 medium Eggs (50 grams each)
- a pinch of Salt
- Butter and flour for the pan or use parchment paper for a gluten free recipe
- Cocoa Powder for a pan
- Powder sugar for a top cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease and flour a pan of 26-28 cm.
2. In a mixer finely chop the almonds with a teaspoon of sugar. Melt slowly the dark chocolate and unsalted butter together “a bagnomaria”, in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula, until chocolate and butter are completely melted and combined. Remove from heat. Important: do not burn the chocolate!
3. Beat the egg yolks, 200 grams of powder sugar and a pinch of salt together in a bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer until pale and very thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the chocolate with butter and almonds.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff, add to the mixture slowly and gently, folding from bottom up, making sure you don’t loose the volume. Into the pan previously completely covered with butter and flour – use a gluten free flour or a parchment paper for a fully gluten free recipe – add the cocoa powder at the bottom and then add the full mixture.
5. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, after that let it rest outside the oven for 15 minutes and remove from the pan. Invert the cake on a serving dish. When cool, dust with powdered sugar. Simply delicious. Enjoy.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!