How to prepare the real Italian recipe of Spelt Meatballs or “Polpette di Farro”
Spelt Meatballs with Parmesan are a tasty variation of the classic vegetarian meatballs often prepared with rice. Meatless Meatballs make a great addition to an Italian meal. Toss these wonderful vegetarian meatballs in soy sauce or any favorite sauce, and you’ve got a delicious dinner option! Spelt is an ancient grain. From a nutritional point of view, spelt compared to other cereals is slightly less caloric and richer in vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein. A great Healthy Dinner option!
- 100 grams of Spelt
- 2 Eggs
- 60 grams of Parmesan Cheese
- Bread Crumbs
- Oil to fry
- Salt as preferred
- Add the spelt to a big bowl and cover it with water, leave in the water for 24 hours, now is ready to cook.
- Add it to a large pot with salty water, boil it for about 2 hours.
- Once cooked, drain it through a sieve, and place it in a bowl, adding 2 eggs, parmesan and a pinch of salt.
- Shape into balls, cover with breadcrumbs and fry in hot oil. Serve!
TIP: buy a ready to cook Spelt if you wish to prepare the meatballs faster so that you don’t have to add the Spelt to water a day before. In this case, you can start from step 2, cook as long as directed in cooking instructions included on packaging.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!