How to prepare the real Italian recipe of Potatoes Gnocchi with Tomato sand Basil Sauce or “Gnocchi di Patate al Pomodoro e Basilico”
A traditional dish of the Italian cuisine that you can find in all regions, with so many variations, their unique taste always brings us back in time. In the city of Rome the Potatoes Gnocchi are a traditional dish on Thursday , following the dictum Thursday Gnocchi or “Giovedì Gnocchi”. For some reason known is the saying “Laugh, laugh, mum made Potatoes Gnocchi”. A recipe for potato dumpling, cloaked in a top-notch sauce. Enjoy this mouthwatering Italian recipe for gnocchi with tomato sauce. And if you are preparing a nice lunch with friends consider baking them with mozzarella and Parmisan on top to make the best “Gnocchi alla Sorrentina”.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1 kg of yellow Potatoes
- 300 grams of Flour
- 50 grams of Flour
- 1 Egg
- 50 grams of grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Nutmeg as preferred
- 10 fresh tomatoes like San Marzano or Canned Tomato
- 1 clove of Garlic
- a sprig of Basil
- 4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper as preferred
- Parmisan cheese as preferred
- In a saucepan pour the water and potatoes, bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes from the boil. Drain, peel and place them in a potato masher. Take a wooden pastry board, pour 50 grams of flour and verse the potatoes, let them cool.
- Add to the potatoes 150 grams of flour, parmesan cheese, nutmeg and a bit of salt, to form a fountain shape empty in the center and include an egg in the center. Process quickly, mix adding the remaining flour from the sides until getting a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into more pieces, bringing down every piece on a wooden pastry board to obtain cylinders of the diameter of a finger, cut each roll into pieces of about 2 cm long to get the gnocchi. Place them on a tray previously floured.
Tomatoes Sauce Preparation
- In a pan pour 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a clove of crushed garlic, cook until the garlic becomes golden and then remove it, add the fresh tomatoes and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, pour the water and salt (about 1 spoon/the water should taste a little bit salty), bring to a boil, add the gnocchi, cook them for few minutes, they are ready when they are all up on the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon and transfer them into the pan with the tomato sauce, add the basil leaves. Add Parmisan cheese on top and serve.
TIP: you can also keep the gnocchi refrigerated and bake them later on with Parmisan cheese on top and mozzarella. This version is called Gnocchi alla Sorrentina. Spoon them into individual baking dishes, top with fresh mozzarella and more parmesan, and pop into the oven for 5 minutes, just long enough to melt the mozzarella. You can’t go wrong with Gnocchi alla Sorrentina. The result is pretty amazing.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!