How to prepare the real Italian recipe of Easter Pie or “Torta Pasqualina”
It is not Easter without our “Torta Pasqualina” Easter Pie. Originally, from Genoa, everyone in Italy loves it, generation after generation, simply because you can never get tired of good things!!! This savory pie, called Torta Pasqualina in Italy, is often made for special occasions or parties, it’s easy to make and serve, plus, it’s delicious. This preparation is very simple, what really makes the difference for a good recipe are always the ingredients, their freshness, and the highest quality: spinach, fresh ricotta, organic eggs as main ingredients for this marvelous spring recipe. Light, yet filling, this savory Italian quiche is simply gorgeous. YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY TO TRY IT!
Ingredients for a cake pan – 23/25 cm
- two circles of dough: puff pastry or dough briseé (you can buy it frozen or make this base preparation at home if you have more time)
- 600 grams of Spinach
- 300 grams of Ricotta cheese
- 70 grams Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 Eggs
- Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg as you prefer
- Add the spinach into a pan, without water, (previously washed and shredded), cover with the lid and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Drain the spinach and sauté with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil for additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, add the ricotta cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg, parmesan cheese and 1 egg, mix for 3 minutes. Add the spinach and mix well.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces, roll out your first piece of dough, roll out the dough into a very thin 12-inch circle. Place the dough circle on a 12-inch pizza pan lined with parchment. Add the spinach mixture on top. Spoon the spinach evenly over dough to a 2-inch thickness, leaving a 1-inch border of dough. With the back of a spoon make 4 holes on the spinach mixture over the dough and in each little hole pour a whole egg opened gently. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, cover with the other circle of dough and paint lightly with oil.
- Seal the edges well, fold outer edges together and crimp to seal the pie. Then prick the surface with a fork just a little bit here and there.
- Bake the Pasqualina Pie, in preheated oven, at 190 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Slide the Pasqualina Pie onto a cutting board and let cool slightly before slicing. May also be served at room temperature.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!