How to prepare the real Italian recipe of “Guinea Fowl Stuffed with Sausage, olives, and capers or “Faraona Ripiena”
Stuffed guinea fowl is called the Queen’s Christmas dish. A classic refined dish and tasty main suitable for an important dinner. Indulgent Sunday lunch or special occasion dish. A traditional Christmas recipe which combines culinary properties with the highly nutritious value of guinea fowl meat. Guinea fowl is leaner than chicken and has a slightly heartier flavor which makes it ideal for rich autumn and winter dishes featuring smoky bacon, earthy lentils and root vegetables, chestnuts, bitter chicory, and herbs like sage and rosemary. This festive game bird makes an ideal Christmas dinner.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 1 kg 500 grams of boned Guinea Fowl
- 100 grams of Bacon cut into slices
- 200 grams of Sausage
- 80 grams of Green Olives
- 50 grams of dried Mushrooms already soaked
- 4 Anchovies/Anchovies fillets
- 1 Egg
- 100 grams of White Bread
- half a glass of Milk
- half a glass of White Wine
- 1 sprig of Rosemary
- 1 sprig of Sage
- 20 grams of Butter
- 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper as you prefer
1. Wash the anchovies and remove the bones to have anchovy fillets, fry in a pan with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for 2 minutes at medium- low temperature. Add the sausage chopped into pieces, green olives, chopped dried mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Soften the white bread in a bowl with a bit of warm milk, then squeeze and knead with sausage, adding the whole egg.
2. On a big plate, reverse the guinea fowl meat side up, add salt and fill with the stuffing. Close it and sew it with a needle and cooking thread, then cover with slices of bacon and tie with kitchen twine.
3. In a skillet, brown the meat with the olive oil and butter, pour the white wine. Once browned, move the guinea fowl in a baking dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 45 minutes.
Variation: A chicken can be used in place of guinea hens.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!