How to prepare the real Italian recipe of Crêpes Gluten-Free with Mascarpone and Strawberries
Crêpes are very popular in Italy. We propose here a gluten free variation which is very tasty and nicely balanced. We all know that crêpes come from France. But the word crêpe actually originates from the Latin word, crispus, which means curled. These Crêpes Gluten-Free are great for breakfast or any meal. Takes only 10 minutes to make. No gluten. No problem. They are just as good as crepes made with all-purpose flour! Enjoy.
Ingredients for the Dry Flour Mix (it can be stored)
- 1 cup gluten-free sweet Rice Flour
- 1 cup ground Hazelnuts
- 1 cup sweet white Sorghum Flour
- 1 cup Teff Flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Xantham Gum
Ingredients for the Crèpe Batter
- 3 eggs1 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup GF crêpe Flour Mix (done above)
- Butter for the Crêpe Pan
Ingredients for the Sauces
- Nutella, few spoons. Banana, in slices
- Mascarpone, milk and sugar, mixed into a creamy delicious sauce. Fresh Strawberries in pieces
- Honey and Lemon
1. In a container or a bowl, add the teff flour, sweet white sorghum flour, gluten-free sweet rice flour, ground hazelnuts, and lastly add in the xantham gum. Shake it in a container, or mix it well if in a bowl.
2. Preheat a large flat pan to medium-high heat. Crack 3 eggs in a bowl and then add in some milk, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk this mixture for a few minutes.
3. Measure out 3/4 cup of your crêpe mixture and add it into the egg mixture. Whisk the batter together and you have your crêpe batter! It will look runny but that is right.
4. Take a little bit of butter and coat the heated pan. Pour approximately 1/3 cup of batter into the center of the crêpe pan and swivel it around with a back and forth shaking motion until you have a thin, round crêpe. Allow crêpe to cook until edges become golden brown, then flip and briefly allow the other side to cook. (10-15 seconds) Slide it right off the pan to a plate.
5. Dress with a small amount of Nutella and bananas cut into slices, jam or maple syrup down the middle, roll up, cut into two pieces and serve warm. Or you can simply add honey and lemon juice.
6. Alternatively, you can fold the crepes with a wonderful Mascarpone cream inside and fresh strawberries. Mix together mascarpone, a little bit of milk, and powdered sugar on high with a hand mixer until stiff peak forms (do not over beat). Place desired amount of filling to half of the crepe and top with fresh strawberries. Fold into fourths and add extra dollop of filling on top with fresh strawberries.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!