How to prepare the real Italian recipe of the traditional “Ciambellone” for a children party or for a nice breakfast during the weekend
Wonderful Classic recipe of a cake often baked at home in Italy, the Baked Ring Cake. “Ciambellone” (chahm-bell-ohn-eh) Plain, vanilla-scented cake, is a classic Italian cake, dense and crumbly and perfect with a cappuccino or a cold glass of milk and, of course, a nice espresso. It’s tender and fragrant, has a good, sensible crumb, lasts for a few days on the kitchen counter, it is not too sweet, healthy, easy to make, and very nice for breakfast. The traditional Italian “Ciambellone” is also good at teatime and as a snack for little children. In other words, it’s a perfect everyday cake. A glorious cake. The classic good old Italian family recipe.
- 200g/7oz Butter softened, plus extra for greasing
- 300g/10½oz Sugar
- 4 free-range Eggs, yolk separated
- 300g/10½oz plain Flour
- 100g/3½oz Potato Flour or Cornflour
- 1 Lemon, zest only
- 4-6 tbsp Milk
- 1 sachet of Baking Powder like “Pane Angeli” or use 1 tsp baking powder mixed with 2 to 3 drops of vanilla or powder
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3. Lightly grease a baking ring mould.
2. Mix and cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is pale and creamy. Stir in the egg yolks, plain flour, potato flour or cornflour and lemon zest together with four tablespoons of milk. Stir in 1-2 more tablespoons of milk if the mixture is very thick. It should be creamy, light and stand in soft peaks in the bowl. Zest citrus fruit. Stir in the Pane Angeli, or the baking powder and vanilla essence mix. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Then fold the egg whites into the mixture.
3. Pour the mixture into the greased baking ring mould and bake it in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch. Serve.
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!