How to prepare the real Italian Easter Monday Picnic Basket or “Cestino di Pasquetta”
An All Italian Easter Monday Picnic: usually on the Angel Monday we organize a nice picnic out of town with our best friends and family. It is the first time outdoor opening the good season, spring is in the air, allowing a convivial way to continue Easter festivities celebrating spring. A Tramezzino is the Italian take on the British tea sandwich. Although the sandwich has become a symbol of contemporary lifestyle on the go, sliced bread stuffed with various ingredients is actually an ancient preparation. How to get organized? And what do we bring with us in the basket so that the picnic is a great success? Below 5 easy ideas, quick and tasty!!!!
Sliced Bread or Tramezzini all’Italiana
Perfect for the Easter Monday Picnic: made with two pieces of white bread with the shape of a triangle and the crusts cut off, Tramezzino is often filled with all kinds of delicious treats. Just be creative!
The word “tramezzino,” is due to the Italian poet Gabriele D’Annunzio; in 1925, he was sitting inside Caffé Mulassano, Turin, enjoying an “aperitivo” accompanied by these kinds of special sandwiches. He liked them so much that he ordered another round, asking for more “tramezzini”. Observing their shape, they reminded him of the “tramezze” partition walls of his home in the countryside. Based on this, the Tramezzino was born. If you don’t know Gabriele D’Annunzio, you should read his wonderful poetry…
Between our favorite fillings for those tea sandwiches or Tramezzini: ham and cheese, asparagus and sliced eggs, tuna and sliced tomato, arugula with cured beef, tuna and artichokes, wurstel sausage and artichokes, smoked turkey and lettuce. Below a couple of healthy vegetarian options without mayonnaise…
1) Vegetarian Tramezzini: with Ricotta, Capers, Black Olives, Mushrooms
Ingredients for 2 people
- 4 slices of sliced bread (white, whole and other kinds as you prefer)
- 50 grams of fresh spinach
- 150 grams of Ricotta Cheese
- 10 grams of Capers
- 10 grams of Black Olives
- 2 large Mushrooms previously washed well and cut into thin slices
- Salt, pepper as you prefer
- Take a bowl and include the ricotta cheese, olives and capers. Mix well all the ingredients and leave the ricotta stuffing aside.
- Take the sliced bread and add the filling on top starting with fresh spinach, there is no need to add additional sauce because the ricotta mix is very tasty, while the olives and the capers give the right strong flavor. Add the ricotta stuffing on top of the spinach leaves.
- Before closing the “Tramezzino” include also the mushrooms in thin slices.
2) The Classic One: Mozzarella Cheese and Tomatoes or “Tramezzino Pomodoro e Mozzarella”
Ingredients for 2 people
- 4 slices of Sliced Bread
- 3 fresh Tomatoes
- 150 grams of Mozzarella cheese
- 4 leaves of Basil
- 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pepper as you prefer
- 3 tablespoons of Mayonnaise
- Cut into slices the tomato season with oil, salt and pepper and basil leaves, let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Cut the sliced bread, spread the mayonnaise.
- Make a first layer with tomato slices and then a few slices of mozzarella cheese, close with the other slice of bread.
3) Easter Cheese Pie with Italian Sausages or “Torta al Formaggio con Salumi”
Ingredients for 1 Large Pie
- 500 grams of Flour
- 20 grams of Fresh Yeast
- 100 grams of Pecorino Cheese
- 150 grams of Parmesan Cheese
- 150 grams of Emmenthal Cheese
- 1 glass of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 glass of Milk
- 4 Eggs
- Salt and Pepper as you preferred
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk and leave it to rest. Mix the eggs with Pecorino cheese, Parmesan cheese, flour, oil, salt and pepper to taste and finally add the yeast dissolved in milk.
- Whisk the mixture well and then you can work it with your hands or, even better, with the mixer, once all the ingredients are well-blended pour into a large cylindrical mold with high sides and add the Emmenthal in chunks directly into the dough and let rise for a couple of hours covered with a cotton cloth.
- Heat the oven to maximum then lower it to 180-190 degrees and bake the pizza, it will be ready when is golden on surface around 50/60 minutes. Let it cool in the oven with the door open and switched off.
- Serve this delicious Pie or Cheese Bread with slices of Italian Salami and Parma Ham.
4) Italian Red Wine o “Vini Rossi Italiani”
You could also bring some great Italian wines with you: like Amarone, Chianti or a southern Nero D’Avola you can find wonderful options. Dark chocolate and red wine is often a good combination. Or just pick a dessert wine such as Passito or Moscato.
5) Dove Cake with Chocolate Eggs or “Colomba e Uova di Cioccolato”
The Dove Cake is a must for our Easter meal you can add some chocolate eggs of the best quality, dark and with milk both variations will be the perfect combination for your picnic. A delicious sweet sandwich idea for your Easter Monday Picnic: you can prepare a sandwich with a slice of dove cake and a piece of chocolate: you have to try it!!!
TIPS: For a shabby picnic, romantic and retro’, opt for the classic wicker basket. You can use more than a basket: one for the tablecloth and the dishes and one for the foods. For drinks it is preferable to bring a cooler box with you.
ENJOY YOUR EASTER MONDAY PICNIC, HAVE A GREAT ONE…
Posted by Nicoletta and Tiziana
The Real Italian Food. Buon Appetito!